Friday 5 December 2014

A Weekly Buy Nothing Day

To commemorate my November 2014 "Black Friday" alternative to shopping, I decided to make non-buying resolutions. I need to add some detail to my promises. The first resolution I made was to . . . have a weekly Buy Nothing Day. But what day should that day be? When a person works, Friday, Saturday and Sunday tend to be the "shopping" days and therefore the most difficult days to assign as Buy Nothing Days. Insofar as Monday to Thursday, if you assign a Buy Nothing Day to a day that you usually buy nothing anyway, what's the point? 

Now the question arises, does food count? After all it is a necessity. But then if you say food is exempt, then it may be easier to rationalize restaurant meals. OK food is exempt from Buy Nothing Days but then how would restaurant meals be defined? As a luxury or as a necessity . . . you see, it does get difficult to determine what is necessity and what is not. If we define Buy Nothing, it means "buy nothing". So what part of "buy nothing" is there not to understand?

I guess Friday can't be my assigned day since we arrived back in Canada last night and have to replenish the fridge and food cupboards today and today happens to be Friday.

I am thinking that I should make Saturday my Buy Nothing Day. It would be difficult but it would also force me to do other things, like downsize my closets. OK, Saturday it is - at least for this week.

As soon as I finished writing that last paragraph, an email came in from a vendor telling me about a further 20% off all purchases (sales items included) tomorrow only. Sigh. I have a feeling this is going to be more difficult than I thought . . . I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. Relaxing in Kelowna6 December 2014 at 12:31

    The notion of buy nothing days is becoming easier and easier for me. Very honestly, I need nothing.......well, food stuff of course, but in truth, I NEED nothing! So there are many days when I buy nothing. My husband just passed me an advertisement for stunning purses on sale at a minimum of 50% off. Must have!!! But the reality is, how many purses does one woman need? I have my favourites, and the others languish in my closet. So, to quote you, "thanks but no thanks!" As an aside, we all love meals out, especially with good friends, but are they a need? Other than the companionship and laughter, not really. Just come over and we'll make pizza at home!! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know when I'll be Kelowna way but I'll be there!

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.