Monday 25 June 2012

Flip Flops: the summer selection for footwear

Summer Footwear Choices

Sun is shining. Weather is sweet. Make you wanna move your dancing feet. 
- Bob Marley (lyrics) 

Closet Content Analysis: Flip Flops

NICE                   NO THANKS         NOTE-WORTHY            NEED          NEW

"But he is an Italian," was Umberto's sensible reply. "He doesn't care if you break some law a little bit, as long as you wear beautiful shoes. Are you wearing beautiful shoes? Are you wearing the shoes I gave? . . . . principessa?"

I looked down at my flip-flops. "I guess I'm toast."

- Anne Fortier, author of Juliet (2010)


The following are some observations of flip flops worn and seen, oftentimes precarious, sometimes awkward, and other times predictable and even a little eccentric.
  • The "split-splat" of synthetic hitting the boardwalk reminded me that it was summer.
  • She was tall and attractive but moved inelegantly as she clattered down the hallway in her wooden flip flops. 
  • With toes pointed outward her gait was off and she looked like a duck waddling down the street.
  • My toes tried to grasp the flat sole to prevent the uncontrollable flop that insured the impossibility of entering the room quietly.
  • The pebbled surface made walking precarious as the back end of her shoe flipped and her bare heel flopped onto the uneven surface.
  • Her toes pointed to high noon, but the back of her right flip flop was at 20 after and the other at 20 to the hour.
  • His feet slid out of his flip flops as he tried to maneuver up the slippery slope.
  • She looked rather austere dressed in navy on a warm summer day, but her lime green flip flops indicated another possible personality. 
Leather flip flops I'm living in during the summer of 2012.
There are leather, wooden, fabric and synthetic and rubber flip flops and depending on where you are going you don't need many other shoes in the summer. Although there are limitations especially regarding terrain.

At Work: A leather flip flop is a sandal; whereas a rubber flip flop is beachwear. Does that make sense?

Out for Dinner and Weddings: Essentially, mules are flip flops with heels. Of course, it's the height of the heel that distinguishes a mule from a flip flop and so why would I tell you to wear a mule rather than a flip flop. It's that formality discussion again. You just look more formal wearing a heel; call it what you want. That being said, I would not hesitate to wear my black Accessoire flip flops (the middle ones on the ladder) out for dinner with the little black dress. 

NEED: Two or three pairs of Brazilian flip-flops, either Havaianas or iPANEMA Gisele Bündchen in all three sea, sand and sky summer colour choices.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Personally, I'm really impressed! I love the way you write your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.